Tummel is the path breaking klezmer and Balkan band that with ever-present energy takes your heart on a bungy jump. Known as a formidable live band, the Tumlers has managed to turn many a crowd into a roaring, shaking, ferocious mega party. With the motto “music for restless souls”, the band re-invents the traditional East European music and turns it into something completely their own. The band’s albums, OY! (2001), Transit (2004), Payback Time(2009) and Push (2014) have received lots of very enthusiastic reviews. Tummel has toured extensively both in Sweden and across Europe, worked with Music schools and orchestras, and also has done workshops, music camps, and a joint performance together with the Finnish dance group Tsuumi, with the title “Herd Behaviour”.
Flyttfåglar (Migrating birds) is a combined film and school concert which tells the story of the band members’ and their families’ histories, which are all filled with migration, as is the history of Mankind generally. The film is made in cooperation with the director Carl Moberg. The project can also be combined with a workshop where the pupils are encouraged to investigate and share their own family histories.
Herd Behavior is a show mixing elements of music, dance and performance, in which the audience take a very active part. The show concists of a number of tableaus, “worlds”, where different aspects of human herd behavior, good and bad, is studied and problematized. Besides Tummel and dancers from Tsuumi Dance Theatre, every performance involves one or more local “herds”, who may or may bring their own rehearsed material into the performance. There is no stage, but the performance takes place right among the audience, which is incouraged to participate and interact with the performance. You can see more pictures from the premiere in Helsinki here!
Since 2015, Tummel is a quintet, consisting of
- Pär Moberg, saxophone
- Paulo Olmos, drums
- Jonatan Ahlbom, tuba
- Tobias Allvin, guitar and bouzouki
- Annika Jessen, clarinet
In Flyttfåglar, Annika is replaced by the Maccedonian clarinet virtuoso Blagoj Lamnjov. Watch him in the video clips above!
A selection of previous concerts:
Upcoming and recent concerts:
- 9th of March 2016: performance of a teaser for Flyttfåglar, Palladium, Malmö.
- 30th of April 2016: Performance in Helsinki, Finland together with the Finnish dance company Tsuumi.
- 13th of May 2016: Corporate event in Malmö.
- 1st of June 2016: Corporate event in Lund
- 2nd -3rd of July 2016; gigs in Kuopio, Finland, with the dance company Tsuumi. Two public concerts (see info here), and one gig at a refugee center. The project is supported by Kulturkontakt Nord.
- 23rd of July 2016: private event.
- 28th of August 2016: private event.
- 19th of September and 17th October 2016: School Performances of Flyttfåglar in Skåne, Sweden.
- 16th of October 2016; Stadsbiblioteket, Båstad, Sweden.
- 5th of November 2016: Klubb Katuschka, Uppsala, Sweden
- 6h of November 2016: Klezmer festival. Lund, Sweden.
- 28 december 2016: private Hannukak party, Copenhagen, DK
- 20 januari 2017: private function, Malmö, Sweden
- 27 januari 2017: “Flyttfåglar” is performed at the Holocaust Rememberance day in Burlöv, Sweden
- 28 april 2017: Premiere fo “Herd Behaviour” with Tsuumi at Valssaamofest in Helsinki, FI. The project is supported by Kulturkontakt Nord.
- 13th of May: Private function, Lomma, SE.
- 17th to 18th of August: School performances of Flyttåglar for College students in Ystad, SE
- 27-29/9 2017: School performances of Flyttfåglar in Ystad for High school.
- 30/9 2017: Tummel celebrates the bands’ 20th anniversary at Babel in Malmö, SE! Arranger is Mix musik.
- 3/12: We perform together with a lot of young musicians at a Childrens’ music day at Kulturkvarteret in Kristianstad, SE