Moberg Lie is a duo with the members Jo Asgeir Lie, accordeon, and Pär Moberg, saxophone. They first met and played together during a folk music conference in the spring of 2012, and immediately decided to start a duo together. Their repertoire consists of a mixture of traditional Norwegian and Swedish tunes, and own compositions in the same style. The duo made their public debut at the Nordtrad conference in Vilnius in April 2013. Jo Asgeir and Pär have many things in common. One is that they play instruments (saxophone and accordeon) which through the years have had a hard time being accepted as part of the Nordic folk tradition by “tradition purists”. But whoever hears the open earedness and respect for tradition in their paying will hopefully very quickly be convinced! They are also both very experienced composers and arrangers of traditional music.
In their everyday life, they also share the common experience of being heads of academic folk music institutions. Jo Asgeir is the head of the Ole Bull Academy in Voss, and Pär is the head of the folk and world music dpt at the Academy of Music in Malmö. Besides that, Jo Asgeir is perhaps most well known as a member of the band Kvarts, one of Norway’s most respected folk music groups. And Pär plays with a number of different constellations, which you can read about on this web page. Both have extensive experience as pedagogues, and the group also does workshops.
Moberg Lie released a self titled album in 2015. It’s released by Gammalthea Records.
- 15th of Feb 2014, Malmö Folkmusikförening, Barnens Scen. Concert and dance
- 20th of August 2014: playing at opening ceremony of the festival Traditions for Tomorrow, Iceland.
- 21st of August 2014: concert at the festival Traditions for Tomorrow.
- 28 Juli 2015: Concert at Lönebostället Gladsax, Sweden, kl 19
- 29th of July 2015: concert in Stora Hammar church, Höllviken, Sweden, 21.00